The National Police Service (NPS) has intensified its crackdown on suspected criminal gangs following the violence that disrupted the Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay County on Sunday, August 16, 2026.
The clashes left one police officer dead, injured several others and resulted in damage to police and civilian vehicles. Journalists covering the political gathering were also attacked during the chaos.
In a statement issued on Monday, August 17, the NPS said security deployment for the rally had been coordinated by the Nyanza Regional Police Commander based on the nature and anticipated requirements of the event.
“Regrettably, several criminal incidents were recorded, including an attack on journalists performing their lawful duties, damage to five police vehicles deployed for public order maintenance, and damage to several civilian motor vehicles,” the police said.
According to the Service, one police vehicle subsequently lost control, causing the death of its driver and injuries to five other officers.
“The NPS conveys its deepest condolences to the family and friends of the deceased officer, wishes the injured officers a swift recovery, and commends all officers for their continued dedication to duty,” the statement added.
37 Suspected Gang Members Arrested
The police further revealed that three officers had been injured on Saturday, August 15, while arresting 15 suspected gang members along the Kisumu-Kericho Road.
The latest incident brought the total number of injured officers linked to incidents in Kisumu and Homa Bay to eight, excluding the officer who died in Homa Bay.
The NPS said it had arrested 37 suspected gang members in connection with the violence.
“A total of 37 suspected gang members have been arrested and were found in possession of various crude weapons, including machetes, ropes, metal rods, knives, rungus, batons and torches,” the Service said.
The suspects will be processed in accordance with the law and face prosecution where evidence supports the charges, the police added.
Police Hunt Man Identified as ‘Olivetti’
The NPS also named Oliver Jaoko, alias “Olivetti”, as one of the individuals being sought over the violence.
“The NPS is pursuing Oliver Jaoko, alias ‘Olivetti’, who is currently at large, and directs him to surrender to the nearest police station to assist with ongoing investigations,” the statement read.
Police said operations would continue against other individuals suspected of participating in the violence, including alleged organisers, facilitators and financiers.
“The police are also pursuing other actors who may have participated in the mayhem, with a view to ensuring that all those responsible, including organisers, facilitators and sponsors of criminal activities are identified and held accountable in accordance with the law,” the NPS said.
Police Warn Political Actors
The Service issued a strong warning against individuals it accused of using political activities to facilitate violence.
“Those who recruit, finance, mobilise, arm or otherwise facilitate criminal elements to cause violence and disorder will be pursued and brought to justice,” the police said.
The NPS also reminded political actors that public rallies must be conducted between 6am and 6pm and that organisers are required to notify police in advance to facilitate security planning.
The Service maintained that it would continue enforcing the law while safeguarding citizens’ constitutional right to peaceful assembly.
“The NPS remains resolute in fulfilling its constitutional mandate of enforcing the law and dealing firmly with all forms of criminality,” the statement concluded.

