Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua has made fresh allegations over the violence that disrupted a Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay, claiming a criminal gang was allegedly mobilised and paid to cause chaos during the political event.
Gachagua, the leader of the Democracy for Citizens Party (DCP), spoke on the incident while addressing leaders from Mt Kenya South at his Wamunyoro residence.
According to the former Deputy President, police had informed him of the existence of a group he identified as the “Harmer Boys”, which he claimed had been causing disturbances in Homa Bay.
“Police wameniambia kuna gang inasumbua watu Homa Bay inaitwa Harmer Boys inaongozwa na mtu anaitwa Mohammed Sebo,” Gachagua said.
He further alleged that the group was led by a man identified as Mohammed Sebo and claimed that Sh60 million had been released to facilitate the alleged operation.
Gachagua claimed the money was intended to be distributed to individuals involved in the disruption, with each alleged goon expected to receive Sh10,000.
However, he claimed the individuals did not receive the full amount.
“Raymond Omollo alitoa Sh60M wapewe Sh10,000 per goon lakini walinyolewa wakapewa Sh4,000,” he alleged.
Gachagua also claimed that additional reinforcements were deployed from Nairobi to provide backup during the confrontation.
“Nairobi Cierra were also deployed to give them backup,” he said.
His remarks come amid heightened political tensions surrounding the Linda Mwananchi movement and its activities in Homa Bay, where a rally was reportedly disrupted by violent confrontations on Sunday.
Accounts from people who attended the gathering described a chaotic scene involving stones, confrontations and alleged gunfire, forcing some participants to seek shelter.
Linda Mwananchi member Pauline Njoroge separately recounted the frightening experience, saying she and Meru politician Kawira Mwangaza were forced to lie low inside their vehicle as stones and bullets were reportedly flying around them.
The allegations have added a new political dimension to the Homa Bay incident, with questions now emerging over whether the violence was spontaneous or organised.
However, Gachagua's claims have not been independently verified. The allegations against Raymond Omollo and Mohammed Sebo also require confirmation through investigations, while those named have an opportunity to respond.

