Former Law Society of Kenya (LSK) president Faith Odhiambo has accused the government of orchestrating violence against members of the Linda Mwananchi movement during a rally in Homa Bay County.
Speaking during a press briefing on Monday, August 17, Odhiambo alleged that individuals she described as “state-hired terrorists” had been instructed to target, attack and kill people associated with the movement.
She claimed that several Kenyans attended what recruitment meetings ahead of the rally, where they recorded footage of alleged instructions and sentiments attributed to unnamed elected leaders.
She claimed that several Kenyans attended what she described as recruitment meetings ahead of the rally, where they recorded footage of alleged instructions and sentiments attributed to unnamed elected leaders.
According to Odhiambo, the violence was not an isolated incident but part of what she termed a coordinated operation. She accused state agencies and the government of failing to intervene despite alleged advance knowledge of the recruitment and mobilisation of the attackers.
“The inexplicable impunity with which the recruitment and radicalization of the terrorists and the refusal of the responsible state agencies and the government to take action discloses that this was not an isolated incident,” she said.
Odhiambo further alleged that the operation had been sanctioned by senior officials within government, accusing the state of becoming responsible for violence against its own citizens.
She said members of the Linda Mwananchi team began reporting incidents on the night of Saturday, August 15, when alleged groups of attackers erected roadblocks along major routes leading to Homa Bay town.
“Our efforts to meet and engage with the people of Homa Bay were frustrated by barricaded roads and attacks from armed terrorists in the full glare of the public, media, and police officers,” Odhiambo said.
She alleged that the situation deteriorated after the groups moved into Homa Bay town, where they allegedly searched hotels for people suspected of belonging to the movement.
Odhiambo specifically mentioned the Tourist Hotel, claiming that attackers forcibly entered rooms while allegedly searching for Linda Mwananchi members.
She also alleged that individuals involved in the attacks pursued injured members after the initial clashes, claiming that one member of the movement's security team had been confirmed dead.
Nearly all vehicles in the entourage were allegedly damaged through stoning, gunfire and tear-gas canisters, she said.
Odhiambo's allegations come amid heightened political tensions following the violence that disrupted the Linda Mwananchi activities in Homa Bay.
The claims, including the allegations of government involvement and the identity of those responsible for the attacks, would require independent investigation and verification.
Police and other state agencies have yet to publicly respond to all the allegations contained in Odhiambo's statement.

