Babu Owino Defends Security Aide Oliver Jaoko, Demands Arrest of Homa Bay Leaders

Nairobian Prime
0

Embakasi East MP Babu Owino has defended his security aide Oliver Jaoko after police identified him as a person of interest in investigations into the violence that disrupted a Linda Mwananchi political rally in Homa Bay.


In a statement on Tuesday, August 18, Owino said he was at the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) headquarters accompanying Jaoko, whom he described as innocent.


“Currently at DCI Headquarters, presenting the innocent Oliver Jaoko, whom the police have identified as a person of interest,” Owino said. 


Jaoko had been directed by police to present himself for questioning as investigators continued to probe the violence that rocked political activities in Homa Bay. 


The incident has triggered accusations from rival political camps, with questions emerging over the identities and motives of those involved in the clashes.


Owino, who has been associated with the Linda Mwananchi campaign, turned his criticism towards Homa Bay Governor Gladys Wanga and Suba South MP Peter Kaluma, accusing them of sponsoring groups that attacked members of Team Linda Mwananchi.


The Embakasi East lawmaker called on police to investigate the two leaders, alleging that they should be held accountable for the violence.


“The Police should arrest Gladys Wanga and Peter Kaluma for sponsoring goons to attack members of Team Linda Mwananchi,” Owino said.


He did not provide evidence in his statement to substantiate the allegations against Wanga and Kaluma. 


The accusations come amid heightened political tensions in Homa Bay, where competing political interests have increasingly clashed over rallies and emerging political alignments.


Owino also questioned the decision to pursue people who were allegedly attacked during the confrontation rather than those accused of initiating the violence.


“The Inspector General of Police must explain why they want to arrest those who were attacked while the attackers are left free,” he said.


His remarks add a new political dimension to the police investigations, with the MP demanding that the National Police Service establish what happened before taking action against individuals linked to the clashes.


Police have not, in the information cited by Owino, announced charges against Jaoko. Being listed as a person of interest does not by itself mean that he has been charged with an offence.


The latest development is likely to intensify scrutiny of the Homa Bay violence as investigators seek to establish those responsible for the confrontations and determine whether political actors played a role in mobilising supporters.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)