Nairobi Senator Edwin Sifuna has directly challenged Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen’s assertion that no notice was given ahead of his Kitengela rally, saying evidence shows otherwise.
Sifuna says everyone in the Senate WhatsApp group, including Murkomen — who remains a member as a former Senator — received advance notice of the planned gathering.
He further claims he shared the same notice directly to Murkomen’s personal WhatsApp number, undercutting the CS’s explanation.
Speaking on Thursday, Sifuna said Murkomen’s failure to acknowledge the notice represents an attempt to deflect responsibility for the chaos that unfolded during the February 15 rally.
The Kitengela event, organised under his Linda Mwananchi tour, turned violent after police used teargas to disperse crowds, an action that led to casualties and widespread criticism of the security response.
Sifuna reiterated that formal advance communication about political meetings is not just courtesy but a constitutional obligation to ensure peaceful and orderly public gatherings.
He argued that Murkomen’s government position obliges him to facilitate, not frustrate, political participation across the country.
Sifuna said the alleged WhatsApp notices constitute proof that the authorities were aware of the event, despite the CS’s claims to the contrary.
The Nairobi Senator also tied the exchange to the planned Kakamega rally later this week, insisting that he has taken proactive steps to ensure all relevant officials have been informed.
Sifuna said he expects authorities to uphold democratic space rather than resort to what he describes as “narratives that justify repression.”
Murkomen had earlier defended security actions at Kitengela, saying police were not informed and that individuals from other regions were brought in to cause disorder.
His comments have drawn sharp rebukes from opposition figures and civil liberties advocates calling for accountability.
