A three-year-old boy reported missing in Malindi has been rescued at the Hororo border while a suspect allegedly attempted to smuggle him out of the country, detectives have confirmed.
In a statement, the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) said the child disappeared on February 13 from the Malindi Central area after his mother raised alarm when he failed to return home.
The parent had left him earlier in the day while she went to work.
Investigators launched an urgent search, reconstructing the child’s final movements using forensic leads and witness accounts.
Detectives established that the suspect, identified as 29-year-old Ugandan national Arnold Ethan, operated a nail parlour near the parents’ shop and was seen calling the boy shortly before he vanished.
Police believe the unsuspecting child followed the suspect, unaware of the danger, and disappeared without a trace.
Detectives from Malindi worked jointly with officers in Lunga Lunga and collaborated with Tanzanian authorities to track the suspect’s movements.
Their efforts culminated in an operation at the Hororo border crossing, where the suspect was intercepted as he allegedly attempted to cross into Tanzania with the child.
Authorities said the boy was found traumatised but safe. Both the child and suspect were handed over to Kenyan border police before being escorted back to Malindi.
Upon arrival, the child was reunited with his relieved parents and rushed to Malindi Sub-County Hospital for medical examination.
The suspect is currently detained at Malindi Police Station and is undergoing processing ahead of his court arraignment.
Police have commended the inter-agency cooperation that led to the rescue and urged parents to remain vigilant and report missing children promptly.
