Babu Owino Issues Two Demands After 28-Year-Old Killed During Linda Mwananchi Tour in Kitengela

Samuel Dzombo
0

Embakasi East MP Babu Owino has strongly condemned the killing of a 28-year-old man, Vincent Ayomo, during the Linda Mwananchi tour in Kitengela on Sunday, describing the incident as “cowardly” and a violation of Kenyans’ constitutional rights.


In a statement released on Monday, Owino said the violence that erupted during the public meeting left several people injured, including women and children, and resulted in Ayomo’s death. 


“I am appalled by the violence, intimidation and unnecessary harassment of innocent Kenyans by the police, often leading to serious injuries and death,” Owino stated.


The MP explained that the meeting in Kitengela had been intended as a peaceful forum for community engagement and discussion. 


However, shortly after it began, police officers reportedly deployed teargas and fired live bullets into the crowd, prompting chaos and skirmishes as attendees fled in different directions.


Expressing condolences to Ayomo’s family, Owino said, “My heart goes out to his family. May they be comforted during this difficult time.” He called the killing “unlawful and indefensible,” emphasizing that Kenyans have a constitutional right to assemble and move freely without fear of violence.


Owino further criticized what he described as the administration’s growing intolerance towards dissenting voices, questioning the independence of the police service. 


“We have noticed that this violence by the police is only targeted at people who are not supportive of this administration. Are the police truly independent as required by law, or mere appendages of this administration?” he asked.


He drew attention to previous protests against extra-judicial killings, warning that continued disregard for civil liberties could deepen mistrust between the public and law enforcement. 


“The growing intolerance by this administration will not be tolerated. We stand for a bold new country where there is respect for the rule of law and justice. We want a country that defends its citizens, not kill them,” Owino said.


The MP reiterated the commitment of his team to continue holding “Linda Mwananchi” meetings, insisting that peaceful civic engagement must be protected. 


He issued two clear demands: the immediate cessation of violence against peaceful assemblies and a thorough, independent investigation into the deaths and injuries caused by the police, with accountability for those responsible.


Owino’s statement comes amid mounting public criticism of police handling of political gatherings, raising renewed calls for reforms and greater oversight of law enforcement agencies.

Tags

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Post a Comment (0)